Having failed miserably to meet the challenges for May and June I thought I ought to get my finger out for July. The challenge was to produce a centre piece, never particularly easy for someone who tends to concentrate on vignettes and dioramas. Fortunately I remembered that I bought a bust (not any old bust but an Ork bust) at the Torquay model show a few weeks ago. It seemed like now was the ideal time to get it done.
I have never painted a bust before, partly because they never really appealed to me but mainly because of the scale. I knew it would offer a whole new painting experience and I wasn’t sure if I was up for that. I don’t claim to be an expert but moving up and down the scales requires different techniques. What you can get away with at one scale you cannot get away with on another and the large scale associated with a bust is pretty unforgiving. Still, as I had bought the bloody thing I reckoned I might as well do it.
So here you have my first attempt (and probably my last too) of painting a bust. Some photo’s, including a few work in progress ones appear below. For scale I have also include an image of the bust along side Lord Flash.
On this occasion I used no oil paints. As if painting the bust wasn’t challenge enough I decided to only use acrylics this time.
If only I could have come up with a better name for the model though!