What we have this week is an experiment. Being honest it didn’t work out as I had anticipated. There is I think a simple reason for this. It was a tougher assignment than I thought.
The figure is a “Diabolist”, a Reaper Pathfinder Miniature. The idea was to paint the figure and any base work using as much as possible a single colour and shades there of. I got the idea from a model I had seen during a google search. I thought it looked very cool and very different. Inspired I gave it a go. I can’t fault the quality of the figure, I rate Reaper as most of you know.
I decided on purple as the single dominant colour and I think that was my biggest mistake. I chose a colour I liked and that I felt provided a good gothic style mood but I struggled with subtle variation. I think this says more about me as an artist and my understanding of things like colour wheels than of the colour itself but on reflection I think purple feels like an advanced colour to work with. Had I chosen to go with green as the dominant colour I think I might have achieved a better contrast.
If I do another experiment along these lines (which I wont be any time soon) I will go with green. In the meanwhile I will leave you to make up your own minds and if you have any constructive criticism fire away as I’d be pleased to hear what you have to say.