Finally managed to make enough progress to post an update! OK so it’s not the most interesting one but it is as far as I’ve got for now.
If you have been following my progress you will be aware that this is the third building in my planned diorama. If you haven’t the the title of this post is a bit of a give away too! It’s also the last building as I’ve decided there will only be three. As you can see from the images below this building represents a bakery.
The building itself differs in a few ways from the other two. Firstly, being a shop it has a large front window which can easily been seen into. Secondly, bakers are up very early so I figure if this diorama is to be set around the early hours of the morning then the lights would be on. Thirdly, it has a balcony with french doors which means it may be possible to see inside. With these three points in mind I felt I needed to do a proper interior in some places.
Externally and internally I set about doing things in same way that I built the first two buildings. Chinchilla dust was used for the external render and a colour printer was used to produce floor and wall tile images which I literally cut and pasted to the MDF interior floor and walls. The counter with bread loaves and rolls was a very basic scratch build from Milliput. Far from perfect but hopefully sufficient given the final angle of view.
For consistency I once again went for individual roof tiles, about 1200 of them to be a little more precise! An LED light was fixed into place to illuminate the shop. It’s been tested and works and will hopefully continue to do so when the time comes to assemble the building on the base and configure the wiring! These things are so delicate.
Most of the painting has been done but there are still a few things to be done before I can call it completed (weathering, chimney, balcony and external brick flooring judging from a quick glance).
The time has now arrived to start thinking about painting some figures and getting my head around the base. The figures will hopefully be straight forward, there are eight in total if I decide to use them all. The base on the other hand requires a lot of thought. The positioning of the buildings will be key, there is a need to conceal wiring and I’m toying with the idea of a fountain and street lights. Some walls will also need to be constructed and each of the three houses will need a back garden. All in all a long way to go. Still, everything in good time.
Various progress photo’s below beginning with the basic MDF shell tnrough to where the build is currently.